Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Bayonetta - Initial thoughts.

Yesterday I came home to find a package waiting for me from Japan, and yes, it was it was Bayonetta, one of those games I've been waiting ages to play based purely on teaser trailers, the other one being the slightly disappointing BrĂ¼tal Legend and yes, this is the last damn time I'll be using those stupid umlouts.
Let's get the big questions out of the way first, yes the game runs on a UK machine, moreover it fully supports English voices and subtitles as well as all in game text, the only thing not translated is the instruction book, but I doubt many will be reading that anyway. Oh, and full English language trophy support support if that sort of thing matters to you. Obviously from what I've just said you can tell I'm playing the PS3 version so I don't know if the 360 is as region compatible.
A while ago I saw a comparison of both the PS3 and 360 versions with the latter being visibly superior. I can't say I've noticed anything that would suggest a sloppy port as yet, but it's early days yet and if something pops up you can bet someone is going to hear about it.
Loading. Holy crap is there ever a lot of loading. It must come from the complete lack of an install, but I've never had any problem waiting for a game to install, must be all those years of PC gaming. Seriously though, the game loads when you press pause. Now, I don't know if DMC4 pulled these sorts of shenanigans, what with it being the closest comparison I can make, but it seems like the sort of over site someone should have been looking out for, but at least they give you something to do while you wait most of the time. You tend to get shunted into a weird sort of void where you can practice your combos which I found crapping out on me just when I was getting into it.
Let's see, what else. The graphics are good and shift around like nobody's business but I found myself loosing enemies off screen due to the fixed camera, or at least what felt like a fixed camera to me when things were getting hectic. That also resulted in me taking extra damage from enemies I couldn't see, or "Ninja Gaidening".
I'm completely in love with Bayonetta's voice actress who, as far as I can tell, isn't putting it on, which always wins extra points in my book, but man, I could watch her walk away for hours. Sometimes I have to switch her to a run just so I won't get too distracted and have to, err, let's say, stop playing for a while. There's one part with a tomb stone and about ten angels in one of the first cut scenes which I can only describe as a "backdrop gangbang" that made my laugh out loud in shear joy.
So who would win in a fight between Dante and Bayonetta? Well, I'd much rather watch an anime of Bayonetta than the tedious DMC one I sat through, plus Dante always came across as kind of a tool to me. Will Bayonetta's over sexualisation start to grate on my nerves? Time will tell I suppose, but right now she can do whatever she wants to.

No comments: